December 08, 2010

oh, how I hate my tripod...


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Exposure:   6 sec. at f-32, ISO-100.

Now, you'd think that something that had TRHEE legs wouldn't be such an invalid, but to own a tripod means that I'm going to have to carry it -- yes, carry it -- every god-damn out-of-the-way place I go.   Oh, the pain...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Exposure:   1 sec. at f-18, ISO-100.

When I was a teenager (((oh so many years ago))) I owned a 4x5 "view camera" -- the type that had to be mounted on a tripod.   It could take a half-hour or more to get everything set up, composed and analyzed.   These sessions were often preceded by a little fight with my tripod -- sometimes those sticky legs just didn't want to cooperate.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Exposure:   5 sec. at f-32, ISO-100.

Of course for slow speeds like these a tripod IS required, but I always try to brace the camera as much as possible when shooting.   Even when not shooting at slow speeds and even if the lens has image-stabilization, bracing the camera on anything sturdy (((a fence-post or the side of a tree))) is advisable.

I've always thought that the number one problem people have with photography is camera movement -- your arms and body NEVER really stop moving -- and nothing will compromise the quality of an image more quickly than a bit of camera jiggle.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

6 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

How about a photo of this offending tripod all set up with a beautiful scene in the background. maybe several different settings. Why you could entitle it Tripod Tuesday, and submit a shot each week. Poor Mr. Tripod deserves a little respect.

Chris said...

Very nice shots. Well worth the aggravation of lugging the tripod around. Though I'm with you on the lugging stuff. I HATE it. It's the reason I'm still using a superzoom and can't bring myself to buy even a compact SLR, despite the attractive pricing these days!

TrevorW�� said...

Yeah I'm another one who hates lugging gear around.Just sold my tripod as I got fed up with carting everything around with me.

Mind you your shots seem to make the effort worthwhile.

Eleonora Baldwin said...

Love the water's rush. How heavy is a tripod?

Wonderful energy in this series.

kaisu marjatta said...

kaunis kaunis kuva! elävä vesi. luonto hyvin koskettava

Scott Law said...

Great silky water shots. I love silky water shots and my tripod.

 
under construction