December 06, 2010

at Lilly Lake, Mount Tamalpais


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Lilly Lake is another one of those unofficial names -- it's real name may or may not be Lilly Lake.

And I don't even have any water-lilly shots to show you this time of year.   But here's a nearby little nameless pond.   A pond with one leaf on the surface now -- probably more in a few minutes...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

During summer you'll find dozens of frogs in Lilly Lake.   You'll generally hear them diving for cover before you spot them.

Also during summer, Horsetails (a.k.a. scouring rushes) grow in a lush stand on the banks of Lilly Lake.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

A leaf taking a dunk above the murky bottom.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

How nice.   A padded chair to rest my tired bones.   Things can get REALLY mossy at Lilly Lake!



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

2 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I've always admired horsetails ever since I was a little guy and learned they are one of the very few plants still surviving from prehistoric times. I think it was the Paleozoic period (something like 100 million years ago) and back then some grew like trees. A great set of photos as always.

AphotoAday said...

Hi SINBAD'S DAD -- Yeah, Horsetails are quite a curious plant -- I've always thought their stalks resembled bamboo. They DO love water so I guess they mostly grow along the banks of streams. --The Botanical Gardens at Golden Gate Park has a great display of prehistoric plants and trees -- just off to the left at the entrance (they're charging out of towners admission now at the gardens, by the way)

 
under construction