December 05, 2010

more from Nicasio, California


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

With a few notable exceptions, most of the photographers I associate with are into "urban" images -- oh you know, street photography and it's ilk. Occasionally I give urban photography a try but I think my heart gravitates more toward nature and landscape photography.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I've always called them "Canadian" Geese, but the other day I found out that they are more properly known as "Canada" Geese.   And that's about all I know about them, except that great numbers of Canada Geese populate the Great Lakes region.

We have a lot of them out here on the west-coast too -- I suppose they might just be visiting this area on their migration, but I can't imagine them needing a better place to spend Winter -- our climate in this area is rather mild.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And of course, this is the lake at Nicasio.   Actually it's a reservoir, and it's level can rise and fall dramatically depending on the season.

I was trying to get a bit "arty" with this (above), but I'll let you be the judge.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

West Marin County is largely still involved with agriculture, although many dairies have ceased operation.   Both campuses of the Lucasfilm organization are located near here -- on old dairy farms.

Cattle ranching is more of a "gentleman's sport" in this area -- oh you know, people who made their fortunes on "the other side of the hill" and decided to spend their remaining days acting out episodes reminiscent of Green Acres.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

6 comments:

Scott Law said...

I enjoyed all of these, but I had to go back and enjoy # 3 several times. BEAUTIFUL!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I logged in a "Wow" for the banner picture as everytime I take a reflection picture it never comes out like that so...Wow, how does he do that?

JK said...

Looks like you have a bit of a mixed flock in the top picture. There are some smaller birds that are not Canada Geese, although I can't quite tell what they are. Really enjoyed the framing of that shot.

TrevorW�� said...

I am obviously going against popular choice - but I really like that last image.

MELI. said...

that nicasio truck makes me happy everytime I ride past it =)
xxom

kaisu marjatta said...

wow

 
under construction