December 11, 2010

finding the light in San Francisco


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

You've got to forgive me -- I keep using these sort of "iffy" banner photos, and then later in the day I start having regrets.   This morning I "posterized" it into seven tones (((I sometimes try this as a last ditch effort to save an otherwise hopeless photo))) and I hope this may have improved the image slightly.   CLICK to see original image.

But this is the sign on the window of City Lights Bookstore, and I never can get past it without shooting it somehow.   Early on a Sunday morning the historic sign takes on a mood of it's own.   Sometimes I can get a reflection of the Transamerica Pyramid, or sometimes there might be a homeless person stretched out in the doorway.   City Lights is always a discovery.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Historic?   Yes, indeedie-do -- historic...

Lawrence Ferlinghetti founded City Lights Books in 1953, and by 1956 he found himself on trial for selling Allen Ginsberg's rather explicit "Howl and Other Poems".

The Beat movement probably started in New York City but San Francisco has been ground-zero for the Beat Generation over the years.   I was born a bit late to be caught up in it.

San Francisco -- the destination of choice for a whole generation of radical social innovators.




click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

CLICK for Wikipedia article on City Lights Bookstore.

CLICK for new HOWL movie trailer on YouTube.

CLICK for Short History of City Lights City Lights on City Lights website.

CLICK for my favorite Beatnik -- Maynard G. Krebbs.




click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Now, I'm not exactly sure who this deeply-involved fellow was praying to, but while I was snapping the photo I remember thinking that the methods of prayer that people use are rather universal.   Maybe, just maybe, all religions boil down to the same stuff...



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

TrevorW�� said...

I am sure they do..!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Great shot of the man praying. You wonder what he is praying for, probably some better times for his future. Hopefully it will get him some new shoes. It is this time of the year that the plight of the homeless, the down and out, really stands out.

photowannabe said...

Terrific photojournalism Don. these pictures say alot about The San Francisco area and man's needs.
Thanks for the Christmas wish. I have been sort of out of the loop for a while and not getting around to my blog friends. Kinda lost my umph. I guess it get s that way when life gets complicated. Its slowly straightening out and maybe after Christmas I will get back into the groove.
Anyhoooo
Have a wonderful Christmas yourself and give kitty some extra catnip for being so good.
Sue

 
under construction