May 19, 2011

Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

On Tuesday I got to travel 140 miles to the south to the Monterey Peninsula. Now, some of my closest relatives will tell you that I NEVER grew up, but yes, this is where I wasted my youth -- and had one heck of a good time wasting it.

Actually I was in Monterey to meet with Brooks Jensen, editor of LensWork Magazine. For a small price he was doing portfolio reviews. I'll tell you more about my review some other day but let me first tell you that I visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium and had a great time. This colorful fish is a Salmon.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh, I've been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium a few times before so I knew to head directly to the Jelly-Fish exhibit -- which to my immense disappointment was closed for renovation. I jumped up and down, screamed and yelled and generally threw a fit, but still the amazing Jelly-Fish department remained closed. I DID, however, get to join a group in a brief behind-the-scenes tour of the Jelly-Fish exhibit which was interesting, but certainly no match for the full exhibit of these amazing creatures.

If you would like to see more of the Monterey Bay Aquarium I have two old posts -- one here and one here.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I enjoyed the historical exhibit that explained the era of the Canneries -- Sardines, also known as Pilchards were netted from the bay in vast quantities -- for years there has been an ongoing debate as to whether the Sardines were just netted out of existence or just packed up and moved some place else.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But Cannery Row was a VERY busy place starting way back in the 1920's. My father worked as an accountant for a succession of canneries during the 1950's, and one by one they all went out of business for a lack of product to pack. But I can remember my dad taking me into those canneries to show me the canning lines and huge cooking retorts. My dad described the work the ladies did packing the fish into the familiar oval cans as brutal and boring and underpaid.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Moving on, I also visited my old hometown of Pacific Grove for a real blast of nostalgia. Not much changes in Pacific Grove, although they have THREE stoplights in town now and the town is no longer dry. Pacific Grove started as a religious retreat and alcohol was not allowed to be sold within city limits until the early 1970's.

I also went over to Carmel and revived a few nostalgic memories. Carmel began as an artist's colony and still retains that flavor to this day.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

It was a bit too late in the day for me to tour the insides of Carmel Mission but I managed to snag these shots from outside. That fellow with the cross is Father Serra who brought religion, hard work, and white-man's disease to the native Indian population in this area.

If you would like to see two posts I did last July on Carmel Mission click here and here



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

2 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I've been away for the past week and just caught up on your posts. Your pictures are always great and I get equal enjoyment from your commentary also. Up at 4:30 AM. I always wondered, now I know. I wasted way too many years of my life having to be at my government job at 4:30 AM that I am hard pressed to get up at that unholy hour when I don't have to anymore.

AphotoAday said...

Hi SINBAD'S DAD -- I've been following you on your great adventure. That's quite some territory you've been covering.

Thanks for the glowing compliments -- so rewarding to get feedback. Appreciated.

And yeah, 4:30AM comes pretty quickly but it's the greatest time of day for a bit of peace and quiet. Slept in a bit later this morning -- this has bee an eventful week and I've been staying up way too late.

Starting work for you at 4:30 must have been rough. I worked in a retail store the last 15 years of my working career but I would go in at 6AM and get lots accomplished before the store opened. For some reason getting up early has just stuck with me. By about 8PM I'm pretty much three-sheets-to-the-wind.

Thanks again, SINBAD'S DAD for your input.

 
under construction