May 22, 2011

S.F. City Hall -- Happy Birthday S.F. Mike


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I've never dedicated a set of photos to anybody before, but I'm sending these photos of San Francisco's City Hall out to my good buddy S.F. Mike who does the S.F. Civic Center blog. Mike's beat is the goings-on of the Civic Center area and his trio of specialties are the symphony and the opera, plus a tough critique on the art in the various museums of San Francisco. Mike also covers the politics of the area -- I remember meeting him four years ago at a protest rally on the steps of City Hall.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh man, let me tell you -- City Hall is so beautiful I can hardly stand it.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

A whole lot of work went into this, and they did it all for me.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I was at City Hall to say to hello to Julie Michelle, San Francisco's pre-eminent people photographer. Julie does the amazingly successful I Live Here S.F. project where San Franciscans with a story write it and Julie documents their life. Julie's major show was last November at SOMArts -- it featured over 200 people she has done pieces on and the show was a smashing success.

Currently, Julie Michelle's images from the I Live Here S.F. project are on display in the various Supervisor's offices in City Hall. The subjects have been grouped by district and hang in their respective Supervisor's office. Quite a clever idea, I think.

If you plan to be in downtown San Francisco in the next month you should make a point of dropping by the JAW DROPPING City Hall -- go up to the second floor to the Supervisor's offices and just walk in and look around for Julie's amazing people photography. She has a talent I can only dream of, and the best part of the whole deal is that she's my friend, good buddy, and fellow photographer. I'll have more reporting on Julie's show in a few days.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

3 comments:

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

great hall , I like all of it:)knowing you the lightning is fantastic "seen through your camera-eyes" my compliments.

Note: see my blog I join-in the "festival of photography" than you thts why I was too busy to blog Gretings J-d-y

Civic Center said...

Dear Donald: You've given me just about the coolest set of birthday presents of my life this week, and I can't thank you enough. See you soon.

Tomate Farcie said...

1) Happy belated b'day to SFMike

2) Note to self, must remember to check out Julie's photos

3) Great series. Yes, the civic center is amazing but difficult to photograph well and you got a ton of great shots! Congrats! ;)

 
under construction