May 21, 2011

the awesome Lagunitas Creek


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Gotta tell you, my beloved Lagunitas Creek is at it's peak in beauty right now -- the past couple times I've been out there have been just delightful.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

When winter rains stop the amount of water in Lagunitas Creek is largely dependent on how much flow our water district releases from Kent Dam, a few miles upstream.

Lagunitas Creek is all about the plight of the diminishing numbers of native Coho Salmon. Their numbers have slipped from a migration of thousands to less than a few hundred today. This is prime spawning ground for the Coho Salmon and after rains in January they return to spawn, completing a three year life cycle.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Luckily our Coho Salmon are protected under the federal endangered species act, and believe me, several agencies and public concerns keep a close eye on Lagunitas Creek -- I think it must be the most studied creek on the coast. Scientists are always out there collecting water samples and checking whatever it is they check.

If you'd like to see more of the Lagunitas Creek, click here for 60 images on what I call my "big" site.

And click here if you'd like to see a short YouTube video I put together a year or two ago.

And click here for another short Lagunitas Creek video.

Go make some popcorn, come back, click here so you can watch yet a third short video of my beloved Lagunitas Creek.

Here's the scoop on these videos...
A year or two ago my camera got stuck in the repair shop for an extended period of time, and I just about went nuts not having it. To relieve the pain I bought a camcorder and found that although it was fun and a new technique, I really missed my still camera, the Canon5D. Recently my camera had to go back to Canon repair but this time they got it back to me quickly, albeit a hefty price for the repair.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

No comments:

 
under construction