May 30, 2011

Gov. Brown; please don't close China Camp


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

It is unknown if Governor Brown will actually go through with his plans shut down China Camp State Park (and three other parks in the area) as part of his cost-cutting measures -- I wouldn't think it would save all that much money. And it's taken the smile off the face of the park worker who cleans the toilets and cleans up the area in the morning -- he'd be out of a job.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But China Camp isn't going anywhere, whether they close the gate or not.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Open or not, this old boat will continue to fall apart as it counts the days.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And the only remaining resident of China Camp, Frank Quan, isn't going anywhere soon. Recently he put a new fiberglass bottom on his dinghy, so now even in his '80's, he still has sights on pulling shrimp out of the bay.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And yes, Frank Quan still sets a net -- these days just at the end of the dock. The catch of Bay Shrimp is small compared to 60 or 120 years ago. Water that normally would flow from the Sierra is largely diverted for agricultural uses in the Central Valley. With less fresh water to flush out San Pablo Bay (the upper thumb of San Francisco Bay) the salinity of the bay has increased, which is something Bay Shrimp do not like.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

4 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

My own personal playground, Annadel State Park, is on the hit list too. If they "close it" (something I don't know how it can be done - too many access points) I will still continue to use it's 40 plus miles of trails. If they want to inforce the closure, they'll have to catch me first. Ha, just try it!

photowannabe said...

When I heard Gov. Brown's proposition, I immediately thought of you and China Camp. Yes it will all remain but its too sad to think of it closing.

Tomate Farcie said...

Off topic, but on your daily duo (Catholic nunnery vs. private cottage), did you photoshop the roof? I've never seen anything like it!

Tomate Farcie

Tomate Farcie said...

*the roof of the cottage, that is.

 
under construction