August 17, 2010

a versatile Mount Tamalpais


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Here in Marin we are proud of our beloved Mount Tamalpais (Tam-al-pi'-us). Some folks believe that the mountain embodies the essence of Tamalpa, the spirit of an ancient Indian goddess.

These Scouring Rushes are commonly known as Horsetails, but I think they resemble Bamboo. They got the name of Scouring Rushes because their stems contain large amounts of Silica -- gather a handful, cut the ends flat, and you've got something that'll work great for scouring pots and pans.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

A little forest scene at Lilly Lake, where I shot the Horsetails. Serene, isn't it? I think it's beauty rivals the most ornate cathedral. Amen.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

In the Spring these hills are a verdant green -- but now they have turned to gold.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

No better place for observing the advancing marine layer of fog. And no shortage of fog this time of year -- it pulls back in the morning only to charge back in later in the day.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

d smith kaich jones said...

first - the first image looks like my christmas tree last year, only much more lovely.

second - it's a beautiful place. it looks quiet, except for the sound of wind. i am big on the look of quiet. :)

Debi

photowannabe said...

Love the fog spilling over the mountianside. Beautiful.
Love the abstract quality of the first shot too.

AphotoAday said...

THANKS "SMITH KALCH JONES" A.K.A. DEBI -- and I've really been enjoying your "Emma Tree" blog (((folks, click on the Emma Tree link on my sidebar)))...

AND THANKS AS USUAL, PHOTOWANNABE SUE -- I was enjoying your "E" post today on your blog but didn't leave a comment. You always come up with such eclectic and interesting stuff...

 
under construction