August 20, 2010

drama in west Marin


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The man-made lake at Nicasio is usually full of photo opportunities -- I suppose it's a bit like fishing.

I think I caught a "whopper" here, if I do say so myself.

And it was such an easy shot to snap -- a large lens aperture gave me a short depth-of-focus, and in Photoshop I was easily able to bring the tones up slightly to correct for a bit of under-exposure.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And no, this isn't any sort of ominous storm passing over -- it's just the heavy morning cloud cover breaking up.

I think about 90% of photography is "just being there at the right time". Some day I'm going to get this same shot with streaming sunlight pouring through the cloud-breaks. I can't wait -- today could be the day.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Same approximate scene, but a bit closer using the zoom lens.

Quite a bit lighter and not so ominous, although it was taken only about five minutes later than the previous shot.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

5 comments:

Marcie said...

That main photo - the one with the water ripples. Absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

photowannabe said...

Such drama. I realy like the early morning dark clouds.
You really cinched the first one of the leaves. So many times we are out too late in the day and everything is just flat.
Lesson #1....quite sleeping in and get out there!!!!

photowannabe said...

Oops, really!!

Unknown said...

Nice shots! First picture was the best i think :) So nice!

AphotoAday said...

THANKS EVERYBODY for your input -- I really appreciate the feedback.

 
under construction