August 16, 2010

Sacramento Delta, wheat and wind


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The harvest of wheat in the Sacramento is in full-swing. We need our bread and crackers.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This farmland depends on the levies (built by those Chinese I was telling you about yesterday), because the fields are actually lower than the river. When a levy breaks, whole "islands" can be flooded.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The lower part of the Delta -- the forgotten part south of Highway12 known as Montezuma Hills -- is now home to hundreds of huge wind turbines. A stiff and constant wind graces the area.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I'm not sure how many years it takes for a wind-energy company to break-even on their investments -- these generators must cost a bloody fortune -- but I can safely assume that some of the farmers in the area who lease land to the wind-energy companies are enjoying their rent money.

Multitudes of sheep are raised in the area -- they enjoy grazing the farmland after the wheat has been harvested.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The Montezuma Hills here in the lower Delta is like an old friend -- I "discovered" it about 35 years ago and visited frequently with the big 4x5 view camera I was using in those days. The low rolling hills are rather photogenic in early or late light.

Ask me what I enjoy most about this area and I'd tell you that it is the solitude of the area. Aside from the ranchers and a few duck hunters, nobody visits -- the place is all mine.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

1 comment:

d smith kaich jones said...

i admit i love the look of the old windmill better than the new, despite their sleekness. :)

Debi

 
under construction