August 31, 2010

ripples and reflections


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Well, I came to my senses and determined that the image I used for yesterday's header just isn't up to snuff so I am not using it today as the lead photo, and am instead replacing it with this.

Often I am the worst judge of my own work -- I tend to get emotionally attached to a scene which clouds my objective evaluation of the final image. I think all photographers (and artists) go through a similar dilemma. But if you missed it yesterday and are scratching your head about the rejected photo, you can click here to see it.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Visions of grandeur, perhaps, but I think ripples and reflections are my specialty. Many people have been so kind as to let me know they like these sorts of photos too, for which I am appreciative beyond measure. Thank you very much -- I have a great deal of fun shooting them.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I usually shoot my ripples and reflections out on the Lagunitas Creek -- I have a favorite spot (just upstream from the confluence of Devil's Creek) where there seems to be more of this sort of thing than other locations on the creek.

However, the shot above wasn't taken on the mighty Lagunitas Creek -- it's the waters behind Alpine Dam on the northern flank of Mount Tamalpais. Actually, water from the dam does flow into Lagunitas Creek, but not before it is captured once again in another dam farther downstream. The dams provide drinking water for Marin County residents.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Can't resist telling you that one of my biggest laughs I had as a kid was tricking my mother into saying "damn". If I said that word I just might get my mouth washed out with soap. "Hell" was another word she would not speak and I had a devil-of-a-time tricking her into saying that one. But Mom died years ago, so these days I am able to say damn and hell with reckless abandon.

But again, these are the waters behind Alpine Dam -- at this particular moment there were less ripples and more reflections. (If you can't make it out, you're looking at an upside down hill)



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this is a first -- I am the first to comment on your photos today. I am always thrilled to see new work from the creek. You are a master of ripples and reflections. In fact, that might be a good name for a Don Kinney book. Hurry, get the copyright now.

The second image today .... the one with tan coloring in the ripples is a real favorite. And I have to say, I think the shot that you ran large yesterday is a real keeper!!

Keep shooting. And keep telling me new things about Marin.

AphotoAday said...

HI JAN BELL (((MR. ANONYMOUS)))
Thanks for the input and encouragement. (Jan is one of my best buddies -- hopelessly stuck in Bowling Green, Ohio, but he does get out here to the west coast at least once a year -- he loves this area and does more or less the same style of photography as I do).

He is a real pro and I have a link to his website in my second set of links on my sidebar. A more meticulous shooter of photos I don't think I've ever met!

photowannabe said...

Love the last one especially. Its kind of like a Monet painting.

 
under construction