August 12, 2010

Frank Lloyd Wright, the architect


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Hundreds of buildings were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and his highly trained staff, but this structure is recognized by the American Institute of Architects as one of seventeen Wright buildings that best represent his contribution to American culture.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Built in 1948 on Maiden Lane near Union Square it's officially known as the V.C. Morris Gift Shop, but today it is occupied by the Xanadu Gallery.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I've never been inside but from the information I've found I understand the interior includes design elements found in the Guggenheim Museum, which Wright was designing at the same time, especially the curvilinear ramp whose shape is repeated in the display cases, tables and other furnishing.

Here in Marin County we are exceptionally proud of Wright's design of the Marin Civic Center. Not that there wasn't a huge furor among the local citizenry during the design process, but I think by now, 60 years later, those who wanted a cheaper and less "far-out" building have either come-around or faded-away.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

1 comment:

photowannabe said...

Wright has certainly given much photo feasts for us. Interesting angles and textures.

 
under construction