August 19, 2010

a plethora of ripples, Lagunitas Creek


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Some people enjoy looking at colorful objects and others enjoy gazing towards the stars, but call me weird -- I enjoy looking at the abstract surfaces of creeks, lakes, and streams.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh, I suppose it all has to do with physics -- the way those ripples are generated with such regularity. When I was young I studied electronics and we spent a lot of time calculating all the various aspects wave-forms; how they are generated, and how to decode and modify the information.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Not terribly long ago the "phonograph record" was king. Early iterations were spun at 78 revolutions per minute and were full of pops and crackles. Just one little careless scratch could cause Bing Crosby to repeat the same short musical phrase, over and over and over.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So, here's a challenge for you "city folk" -- next time you escape to the tranquility of a stream or river listen closely -- you may hear some beautiful, if not a bit crackly, music. Dance if you wish. Sing if you must.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

4 comments:

Pamela Holderman said...

Gorgeous!!! Love your photos. Your cat looks like mine too - go tuxedo cats. Thanks for visiting my blog. I will check back.

photowannabe said...

Love to hear the river singing and the chorus of the waterfall. There is no better therapy.
Great patterns in this post, especially the second one.

Unknown said...

NIce photos! I really love the patterns! :)

Anonymous said...

DON .... THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE SET FROM THE CREEK ..... ALL TOP NOTCH. GREAT TONALITY. PROVES YOU DON'T ALWAYS NEED COLOR.

Jan

 
under construction