January 14, 2011

Redwoods at Muir Woods (part 1 of 2)


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

(((Yesterday I used a horizontal version of this scene as the banner)))

And yes, this is the ever popular Muir Woods National Monument, about ten miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge as the crow flies.   If you are a tourist visiting San Francisco then a tour-bus trip over to Muir Woods is probably on your schedule.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I have to admit to a love/hate relationship with Muir Woods -- and I've heard other "locals" express the same opinion.   Don't get me wrong -- it's a beautiful and dramatic place (((a stream runs through it))), but there's just way too many visitors for a truly peaceful visit.   I visited last Wednesday on a cool and cloudy day -- a slow day for visitors -- I had a very pleasant afternoon.

A fun game to play at Muir Woods is to eavesdrop on all the foreign languages being spoken, then guessing the nationality of the visitors.
It's not at all unusual to not hear one word of English being spoken.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Muir Woods somehow escaped being harvested for it's valuable timber -- other coastal canyons weren't as lucky.   Seeing a forest of old growth Redwoods is a treat indeed.   Some trees are over 1000 years old but most large trees are in the 500-800 year range.

In 1907 plans were drawn up to dam this redwood studded canyon to supply water to nearby Mill Valley.   Fortunately, William Kent bought the 633 acres, staved off development, and in 1908 he donated the land to the Federal government for the establishment of a National Monument.   More on the story tomorrow.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

4 comments:

Scott Law said...

Thank heavens he bought this land to save this valuable resource for our enjoyment, and thank you for sharing it with us.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

When we lived in the upper part of Sonoma County, Hendy Woods out on Hwy 128 was much closer than Muir with far far less people. As always, I enjoy the little bit of history you throw in along with your great images.

Sérgio Aires said...

Once again thank you for you visit and nice comments. I also use to visit your "home". And I'll continue to do it.

AphotoAday said...

Thanks everybody -- and SINBAD'S DAD; I'll check Hendy Woods out (the name rings a bell but I'll have to chase it down)...

And hey, folks -- want to see some great photography? Then visit the work of SERGIO AIRES -- his link is in my sidebar under "eu-nao-sou-eu"

 
under construction