January 22, 2011

foggy morning at Nicasio, California


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Imagine how transfixed I must have been while shooting these photos.
Jaw-dropping scenery in my estimation -- you don't see these kinds of atmosphrics every day, but I frequently check the lake for photo ops.

Anyway, you may notice that this image is slightly less yellow than yesterday's version.   My buddy in Ohio dropped me a note suggesting that I remove some of the yellow from the image.   CLICK to view yesterday's more yellowish version.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

It was also suggested that I crop most of the sky out of that first photo, but that's where I drew the line.   For me that photo is all about the interaction between the fog and the sky -- my buddy thinks the photo is all about the fog and the hills.   Fortunately I had taken a whole slew of different versions of the scene, like the shot above which includes less sky.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Here's a shot that definitely called for cropping out most of the sky.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Turning around, I noticed that Elephant Mountain had almost cleared.

On the west side of Elephant Mountain they call it Black Mountain, which I believe is it's official name, but if you use your imagination you may be able to see a bit of the elephant in this shot.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

6 comments:

Frei said...

Fantastic blog and pics! Are now following you!!

photowannabe said...

The elephant mountain kind of looks like one of the Muppets to me. (sorry, its not quite as fancy a thought as yours).

photowannabe said...

Oops, I was going to comment on that first shot and forgot. I agree the fog, lake, sky etc. are really jawdropping. Print that one Don. (don't crop the sky!)

Jane said...

These are gorgeous, as always. Great compositions and color. And so prolific!!

Adam R. Paul said...

Great atmospherics indeed!

I've been experimenting with cropping out the sky in photos where it isn't an integral part of the image - it's yielded some good results.

Your first image I wouldn't touch though - the sky definitely adds to it. The second, maybe try cropping all of the sky out to make it feel more intimate. Or not - it's a lovely photo as it is.

Civic Center said...

The first photo is a masterpiece, yellow desaturated or not (I'd be curious to see the original before the deyellowing.)

 
under construction