July 12, 2009

way out in West Marin


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Gridlock and standing-room-only is what you'll find along the Highway 101 corridor in Marin County, but an entirely different world waits to be discovered just over the hill in West Marin.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The open space of West Marin County is vast.   The area is still farmed and ranched, but to a lesser extent than in the past.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

These silos stand close to our border with Sonoma County, which has substantially more agriculture than Marin.   Ranchers are reluctant to tear down old unused structures, fearing increased taxes from capital improvements.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I'm not going to steer you wrong, and no bull, West Marin is the place I'd rather be...   ((( oh come on, sing along )))

Green Acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.


New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.


...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square

You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Green Acres we are there.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

5 comments:

Marcie said...

Love the farm pictures..but mostly love the one of the books. Very creative!!!

AphotoAday said...

HI MARCIE -- I'll tell you all about those books tomorrow, but if you can guess who they belonged to I'll give you ten points and a gold star!
Don.

photowannabe said...

Ah yes, Green Acres. Fun memories and I love the steer what personality.

Evita said...

I love this collection of shots! The animal is the best - love the hair cut ;)

Louise said...

What I love about it is that it's so rural and wide open, but one could get an ocean fix any time s/he wanted. (Well, almost.) A bit sad about the reason for the buildings falling apart, but they make great photos.

I've never seen a cow/steer/bull that looks like that one!

 
under construction