July 11, 2009

G.G. Bridge and the vicinity


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Travis Marina, on the northeast side of the bridge is a fine place -- no tourists to speak of -- just boat-owners, fishermen, Coast Guard personnel, and the occasional odd photographer.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But go up on Conzelman Road on the west side of the bridge and that's where you'll find an abundance of tourists -- and fog.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Continue on Conzelman Road -- take the scenic route to the top of Hawk Hill and then down a mile or so of about the steepest road you're ever going to find, past the (Black Sands) nude beach, past old military bunkers, and over to Point Bonita -- where once the surf comes in, it goes out.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Be prepared for gale-force winds and dramatic splashes one day, and complete calm the next.   The elements in this area are quite unpredictable.   Be careful (Don) not to get blown or washed off a cliff...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

4 comments:

photowannabe said...

I agree, don't throw caution to the wind. Beautiful wild area.

Jane said...

Love that shot of the homestead! Hard to believe that's Marin County. Great composition and color. So California summer-looking.

AphotoAday said...

HI PHOTOWANNABE SUE -- Yep, I'm pretty careful but if I slipped off one of those cliffs, or the cliff collapsed (which they can do) I'd be a gonner for sure...

AND THANKS JANE -- for the compliment... That was taken on Cheleno Valley Road on my way out to Two Rock.   Some day I'll do a feature on this particular set of roads that not too many locals know about or use.   Exploring West Marin County is always a delightful way to spend the day.   I've shot that ranch several times in the past, but I think I like this version the best -- they're baling hay out there right now...

Louise said...

Love the third photo. (All of them, but it is so unusual.) I wouldn't mind challenging the elements to stay on the clliff!

 
under construction