July 04, 2009

Plein Aire painters, Marin County Fair


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

One of the more civilized activities at the Marin County Fair is the traditional competition between plein aire painters on opening day.   It's fun to watch their intensity and passion for what they love to do.

This artist was quickly dabbing at his canvas, then stepping back to evaluate his progress and to calculate his next move.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is Susan Schmidt -- an artist with a fine reputation and a skilled hand.   She was painting cows behind the 4H pens.   I remember her from my years of working at the art supply store, which is now out of business.

From the logo on her umbrella I can see that she now shops at Utretch, a New York outfit that has muscled it's way into the west-coast trade, along with Pearl Paint and Blick.   Oh, they all have great prices, but there is a slight possibility that they treat their employees like dirt.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This old guy was definitely enjoying the experience -- it was a very fine day.   I imagine he has been painting for a lengthy number of years.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Another shot of the old fellow showing what he was working on.

I probably, like a good reporter, should have gotten everybody's names -- but by now you might know how shy I am...

I did get into a little conversation with another talented artist, a John Deckert, but the photo I took of him was sub-standard so I'm not showing it here.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And this fellow seemed to be doing a bit more jawboning with passerbys than painting, but you know, they say communication is a big part of art.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

4 comments:

Si's blog said...

Always enjoy seeing painters - good or not to my taste - at their craft. And wishing could do it myself. And enjoy good photographers, too.

AphotoAday said...

Well, I feel exactly the same way you do Si -- I always get a kick out of seeing artists working outdoors -- I admire their patience...

Wish I had their skill, but I suppose I'm better at just clicking that shutter 50,000 times per year, then sending a few up the flagpole to see if anybody salutes...

Hope everybody had a great time today -- I know I sure did (I went to Jack London State Park in Glenn Ellen for the first time and it was a blast)...

Louise said...

I've never seen artists set up at a fair. What a great place to get some interesting scenes.

Tomate Farcie said...

That's a really nice series. I really enjoyed it.

 
under construction