July 21, 2009

Lets mosy over to Bolinas


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Bolinas is a secret town out on the coast, just on the other side of the San Andreas Fault.   People arrive in Bolinas and stay for years, or at least come back the next year and the next if there is any possible way they can make it out to California.

I spoke briefly to the owner of this fine bicycle one day -- I complimented him on his fine bike hanging there -- his face lit up, much like those colored lightbulbs must do when he plugs them in.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Usually I stand up on top of that ridge and look down on Bolinas, but here we're looking right back at what you see from up here.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

There is a wide assortment of God-worshipers in Bolinas, among them; -- Heathens, Satanists, Old Hippies, even older Beatniks, Ragae Lovers, Cool Dudes and Dudesses, and even cooler drugged out Lunatics...   Bolinas has it all...   Even Surfers...   Even homeless people who camp on the beach year-round.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Hope springs eternal...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

6 comments:

Brad said...

Heh, I like the bicycle - and the vines probably do too!

Jeeez, I've yet to visit Bolinas. Probably the locals like it that way...

Tomate Farcie said...

I love the bike!

Bolinas hasn't totally escaped the yuppification (saw a few SMART cars and Priuses last time I was there ;) but it's still a really fun location to visit and I would imagine you could take tons of really unusual pictures, there.

Do the locals still remove the signs?

Rhett Redelings said...

My wife grew up in Bolinas and still has friends there. This July 4th, we went back for the first time in a long while to visit with friends. It was a reunion of sorts. During the visit, I heard that Cal Trans gave up putting the signs up so the "Bolinas Border Patrol" no longer needs to take down the signs. But I believe they would if they had to.

Louise said...

Love the bicycle.The town is cool (but sounds a bit scary), but I think I like the opposite view better.

Jane said...

Great shots of Bolinas; you captured a lot. The bicycle is a real winner, love the peace sign on the barn too.

AphotoAday said...

HE BRAD -- I'd LOVE to see what you could do with Bolinas -- I bet you would come up with something really original...

AND HI TOMATE FARCIE -- Yup, they don't bother to even put the sign back up anymore -- it's be gone the next day fer sure.

AND HI RHETT -- Yep, the Bolinas Border Patrol keeps a pretty good eye on "the man"... I've heard that whenever Cal-Trans would put up a new sign, they would have the Highway Patrol guard it for a night or two, then when security faded the Border Patrol would go steal it...

AND HI LOUISE -- Yeah, you know I think seeing that bicycle brings back memories for everyone of their first bicycle... Everybody had a "klunker" for their first ride, I think...

AND HI JANE -- That peace sign on the barn is really becoming an ikon for Bolinas... It's on the road as you come into town... The barn belongs to Susie Tomkins, one of the founders of Espirit...

 
under construction