February 06, 2009

Sonoma Mission


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

In Sonoma a two-dollar ticket will provide entry to not only the old mission, but the military barracks, and General Vallejo's opulent home as well.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The Mission's plan included the standard tactic of indoctrinating the heathen indians with a healthy dose of the fear of God.

Sonoma also served as a Mexican military outpost designed to squash any expansion attempts by the Russian settlers in Fort Ross.   Expansion fears were unwarranted, and in the short number of years that Fort Ross operated, the Russian settlers and the people of Sonoma became great friends.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

ANNOUNCEMENT:
I've added a new set of California Missions (so far:  Sonoma, Dolores S.F., San Juan Bautista, and San Rafael) to what I call my "big" site over at:
www.photoarrow.com/big/20/20californiamissions.html




CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Again, I'm drawn to the first photo. The colors are spectacular. I wonder if they knew when they painted that wonderful design that those colors would be "in" now?

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

beautiful...reminds me of Spanish missions we visited in New Mexico, not long back.........

 
under construction