February 07, 2009

Mission San Juan Bautista


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

As you might be able to tell, I've been on the trail of some of the California missions recently...   And although I lived not too far from San Juan Bautista and visited several times when I was a kid, it wasn't until Plug1 did two posts on Mission San Juan Bautista -- one here and one here -- that I got inspired to visit again after all these years.

The place looks just like it did when I was a kid, but what struck me was the peacefulness of the area.   Just farmland and rolling hills, a sleepy town and an old historic mission -- all very quiet...


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

If you're looking for earthquakes, San Juan Bautista and nearby Hollister have more than their share!   You would think that earthquakes would be a problem for a mission built out of mud-and-straw adobe, but they make the walls very thick, and instead of falling down the walls just realign themselves during a large quake...


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

ANNOUNCEMENT:
I've added a new set of California Missions (so far:  Sonoma, Dolores S.F., San Juan Bautista, and San Rafael) to what I call my "big" site over at:
www.photoarrow.com/big/20/20californiamissions.html




CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

Deborah Godin said...

I love the top photo of the arches. I can look at that and "make" those bricks into water reflections. Beautiful edifice!

Louise said...

The first photo is brilliant! I love the shadows.

Anonymous said...

Hellо thеre! Would you mind іf I share your
blοg with my zynga grοuρ? Thеre's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you

Visit my page; Web design School

 
under construction