February 28, 2009

Bank of the West Building, S.F.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

If I was giving out awards for beautiful building exteriors, the Bank of the West building on Market Street would get first prize and a blue-ribbon...

But you've got to help me out on this one -- this building may NOT actually be called the Bank of the West Building.   I tried Googling for more information on the building -- but the closest Bank of the West seems to be over on Montgomery Street.   One thing for sure, the building DOES have a Bank of the West sign on it -- but at this point I'm starting to think that that sign might relate to the ATM machine on the building's exterior, and not the building itself.   In any case, I think it's a very beautiful building.   Anybody know the true name of this building?


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, can't help you name-wise, but what a beautiful ribbon exterior!

Civic Center said...

When it was first built, I believe it was called the Shaklee building back when that pyramid scheme was in its heyday. Now I think it's just an office building for lease to anyone. I know there are a lot of Wells Fargo offices there at present.

Louise said...

It it MUCH prettier than that tall building in my city with the same name. I am guessing they either own it or buy advertising on it.

Tomate Farcie said...

I was going to say, this used to be Bank of the West, but I don't think they had the whole building, just the ground floor. I didn't know Wells Fargo moved down there.

I agree with you, it is possibly one of the 2 or 3 best looking high rise downtown SF. I love the "pleats."

AphotoAday said...

THANKS EVERYBODY for your input on the building name...

Mikes comment about it starting out as the Shaklee Building is really interesting... My parents never sold Shaklee Products, but they had a great number of Shaklee products in their home -- from laundry soap to toothpaste and everything inbetween... They really loved the brand for some reason...

Mari said...

Modern, plain and beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This building used to be 444 Market, but it reportedly had bad feng shui associated with the address numeral and its entrance orientation, which was moved a few years back -- now it is simply One Front St. and it houses a Bank of the West branch. The named Bank of the West Building is at 180 Montgomery on the corner of Bush, which houses the corporate headquarters and another branch.

 
under construction