February 03, 2009

Vaillancourt Fountain


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

When Vaillancourt Fountain was first unveiled in 1971 most everyone thought the design was a monstrosity -- just another piece of ugly and expensive urban blight.

But the good news is there is a cure for anybody's bad attitude about the fountain.   A cure?   All it takes is a brief personal encounter amongst the splashing and gushing waters...   All pre-conceptions will vanish -- the experience may range from highly humorous to deeply spiritual...   You sort of have to go with the flow...

  photo: Wikipedia

Yep, above, that's Armand Vaillancourt...   His approach is to combine art with nature...   His fountain is a trip...   Don't trip and fall in...

I have two other Vaillancourt Fountain photos today over on the DailyDuo.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

Tomate Farcie said...

The first shot is fantastic! As to the Vaillancourt fountain, hmmm...... can't warm up to it at all.

photowannabe said...

Not my style of art but I sure like your photos of it. You have made me hear the splashing and feel the mist.

Janice said...

I remember fondly visiting my father's office there at the Southern Pacific building, and then walking over to the fountain. I was about 2 when it was built, and the steps in the water seemed so far apart. Such a thrill for a little kid.

As an adult I don't car for the way it looks from afar, but it has been such a part of my life, that I love it.

 
under construction