April 22, 2008

one way trip


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Happy Earth Day, everybody!   And I mean that from the bottom of my dark and crusty heart...   And no matter what your religious convictions are, it's fairly certain that life itself is a one-way trip.   Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, and all that jazz...   Or as my mother, God rest her soul, used to so frequently point out -- "You're going to burn in hell, young man, if you keep that behavior up".

I snapped that photo on Sunday at the Half Moon Bay Cemetery.   It's not an easy place to find, but living or not, it's a great place to spook around.



CLICK to visit the now clickable Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.

announcing my newly re-designed collection:  
CLICK for what I call my BIG site



Your comments are invited and welcome.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy earth day, and great words

Stacey Olson said...

Happy Earth day to you also, Sounds like you mother was a fine woman.LOL thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

A perfect shot and a very meaningful post to me!

I've always felt the death very close to me (not to me personnally) because I belong to a family of old aged people without enough children. I never saw new births during my childhood and teenage years but a funeral nearly each year (grand parents, uncles, aunts, my father). That's why I know very well what this "One Way" means :)

Greetings from Istanbul,

AphotoAday said...

Thanks Evalhos, Stacey, and Muge --

...and especially to you Muge for the touching words you wrote... Very meaningful hearing about your family -- tragic so many funerals and not enough births... Beautifully expressed...

All the best,
Don and Kitty

Travis said...

Happy earth day! Great site you have here.

Tomate Farcie said...

Personally I think the "one way" sign is pretty funny, but after all, death is no laughing matter, so I won't say anything at all. Unusual shot, though!

Thank you very much for adding that other heart into yesterday's post!

By the way, you should know that I was driving from Marin County to the East Bay (580?) today and noticed these pink flowers you posted the other day were growing on the side of the freeway right after Point Richmond. I don't think I noticed them before. Funny how looking through someone else's lens can have the wonderful side effect of enhancing your own vision. So, thanks for all the work you do on this website, the daily duo, etc. Clearly we don't tell you enough.

Happy Earth Day to you too, Don.

Marvin said...

A great reminder that life is not a dress rehearsal. Hope you had a great Earth Day.

 
under construction