April 03, 2008

bee on tufted vetch


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Tufted Vetch seems to be more of a weed than a wildflower, but it's lavender color is pretty and the bees really love it.   To tell you the truth, I really don't know the difference between a flower and a weed (help me out on this one folks).   This plant grows profusely in large clumps -- I understand it's a member of the pea family -- with long tendrils that grab on to surrounding vegetation for support, often strangling their neighbors in the process.   And yes, there have been a few occasions when I wanted to strangle my neighbors, but please don't call me a vetch...



CLICK to visit the now clickable Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.

announcing my newly re-designed collection:  
CLICK for what I call my BIG site



Your comments are invited and welcome.


5 comments:

photowannabe said...

LoL...I never knew the name of this violent "weed". Great shot of the bumble bee enjoying itself.

Tomate Farcie said...

I don't know much about plants, flowers, weeds (or anything else for that matter) but the light coming out of that yellow flower (picture above) is incredible. It's especially shocking (in a GOOD way!) when you first load the blog so I couldn't wait for tomorrow to say it. :)

AphotoAday said...

Oh cool, Tomate Farcie... I shot it out in Lucas Valley -- the sun was half way hidden by a slight overcast, so the lighting couldn't have been more perfect.   I actually had to back-off the saturation a little because it was so yellowish-red.

Go over to http://www.pestbouncer.com for another shot of a poppy -- and over there I even threw in my Kitty at no extra charge.

Anna said...

Flower or weed - it all depends on what you're after! Inedible to humans, some varieties are good cow food. We had all sorts growing on the property we lived in before we moved.

The bee shot is quite impressive - I find them very hard to get a decent picture of, they move so much! And that poppy above. Stunning! I love how the yellow edges stand out to crisp and clear in the foreground. Beautiful.

A.

Texas Travelers said...

Nice shot showing lots of the flowers for color to contrast with the bee.

If it's not cultivated, and it has a flower (excluding trees), it's a wildflower.

If you are a vegetable gardener, or grow prize roses, and it's in your cultivated area, then it's a weed.

Nice photo.

 
under construction