April 18, 2008

Ice-plant


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Ice-plant is a familiar sight to anyone who has ever driven down a California freeway, but according to the Wikipedia it is actually an invasive species.   Quote:  "Ice-plant poses a serious ecological problem, forming vast monospecific zones, lowering biodiversity, and competing directly with several threatened or endangered plant species for nutrients, water, light, and space."  End Quote.

And although it may be an invasive species, it's definitely here in California to stay.   It makes a great soil retainer, requires very little water, and is -- at least in my opinion -- beautiful beyond description...

In my old home-town of Pacific Grove, a man by the name of Mr. Berwick, with the aid of a few Boy Scouts, started planting a miniature vareity of ice-plant along the waterfront back in the 1940's and it has been flourishing ever since.   It is "picture-postcard pretty", and tourists always go home with great photos.   Yep, invasive or not, ice-plant is definitely o.k. in my book...



CLICK to visit the now clickable Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.

announcing my newly re-designed collection:  
CLICK for what I call my BIG site



Your comments are invited and welcome.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful capture and colors. I don't know why, but this flowers remind me fireworks

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

wow Don,
You made my day I mean that thanks for sjhowing and your informative words. :)

Stacey Olson said...

It may be invasive, but I agree with you It is beautiful.
Thanks

Sean said...

Don, I agree, these are very pretty flowers. They have been around for as long as I can remember and I wonder what plant they invaded on. Was it as beautiful as these? Probably not.

Thanks for the pic.

photowannabe said...

Love ice-plant. It holds the soil, is no maintainance and so vibrant. I agree, its here to stay.

Marvin said...

Gotta agree that it's beautiful, but in general, invasives are a bummer.

Texas Travelers said...

There are some exceptions to the "invasive rule", and this is one. I like the plant.

Fantastic color in this photograph.
Perfect capture.

Troy

Tomate Farcie said...

I like them!

 
under construction