April 21, 2008

Big hearts in S.F.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

In 2004, 130 giant hearts were created by local artists and placed in various locations around The City.   The goal was to raise one million dollars for San Francisco General Hospital Foundation, but after auctions of 111 hearts and publication of a limited edition book, more than two million dollars was raised.
This heart still remains, throbbing with emotion, downtown in Union Square.


Read more about The Heart Project at: http://www.sfghf.net/hearts.php


BY REQUEST (taken a couple years ago on Chestnut near Divisadero)

click photo for full-size image



CLICK to visit the now clickable Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.

announcing my newly re-designed collection:  
CLICK for what I call my BIG site



Your comments are invited and welcome.


6 comments:

Stacey Olson said...

What a fantastic show of support. People can surprise and amaze me at times..thanks for sharing

Texas Travelers said...

.
Great post.
Thanks for sharing this heart-warming story.

Have a great week, Troy
.

Tomate Farcie said...

I believe this is a new one! I noticed about a month ago that they had a change of hearts (ahem) in Union Square but I hadn't been there in a couple of months at least so it's hard to know exactly when they put this one in.

Union square is one of the very few places still displacing hearts. There are a few permanent ones in some of the buildings in the Financial District (Wells Fargo at Montgomery, 100 Pine, in the hall, among other locations).

I like this one a lot!

This heart campaign was one of the most creative, decorative, and fun fundraisers I've evern seen in the City. I 'm a BIG fan of these big giant things, maybe because - like millions of people who said it before me - I did leave my heart in SF.

Tomate Farcie said...

oops. I meant "Union Square is one of the few locations displaying harts" (not displacing).

AphotoAday said...

Yeah, Tomate Farcie...

This one looked new to me too -- I don't think it was there a few months ago -- maybe on loan from whoever bought it or something...

Am going to have to see if I can locate a photo of the first one I ever came across -- it was way out on Chestnut near Divisadero...

Tomate Farcie said...

Looking forward to it!

 
under construction