December 04, 2011

The Lagunitas Creek - where Coho Salmon spawn


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Recently there has been more water flowing in my beloved Lagunitas Creek. Partially because of the smattering of rain we had a week ago, but largely because of Federally mandated water releases from upstream reservoirs to keep the endangered Coho Salmon happy and in a mood to spawn.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Some of the first returning Coho Salmon were spotted a few days ago, but the majority will wait until the heavy rains in early January. No need to rush the process--death follows shortly after spawning. Sad, but true.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Stories from the late 1800's report a creek swollen with returning fishies. But today, experts estimate that less than 200 Coho Salmon will complete the cycle this year. I'll keep my eyes open again this year but it's been three years now since I've spotted even one Coho. They are elusive. Wish me luck.


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction