March 06, 2009

Woodie Woodpecker and Mt. Tamalpais


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

On Thursday we got a respite from the drenching rains, and it wasn't long before I found myself exploring the hilltop between Corte Madera and Mill Valley.   It seems to be popular with people out walking their dogs -- friendly people -- the type that say hello and make eye contact...

The birds were also out enjoying their first nice morning in recent memory -- they were all very busy looking for something to eat...

This woodpecker shot was a total fluke...   I was shooting "the mountain" through the out of focus madrone trees when I noticed in my eyepiece a bird land on a branch.   I quickly focused on it and had time to snap about five exposures before it flew away.   I didn't realize it was a woodpecker until I Photoshopped the image -- I had to bring the bird "up out of the mud" a bit before I could see the red patch on it's head.   Always fun to see Woodie Woodpecker...


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I kind of like this second shot too...   It reminds me of exactly what you'd find on "the Nature Tail" at Roy's Redwoods -- in fact I'm probably going to add it in to that set on my "BIG" site.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

7 comments:

Tomate Farcie said...

I find that birds are very, very difficult to photograph! Glad you got one, it was a good surprise seeing him on the banner yesterday! :)

Looks like we're getting a bit of sun this WE finally ! :)

Sparkle Plenty said...

Beautiful, Donald! And: Thanks a billion for the full picture of the art car!!! Have a great weekend!

photowannabe said...

I love how you zeroed in on the woodpecker. Super shot and the lushness of Roy's Redwoods is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I know I need new glasses, but that looks like it could be an Acorn woodpecker? (which we don't have them in the east) Nice shot, anyway!

Anonymous said...

Nice one, Donald! I like how your eye starts in the upper left, follows down the branch, and gets to the waiting surprise.

Tash said...

Great work catching Woodie and bringing him "out". The composition is just perfect.
I was up your way 2 weeks ago and went over the Golden Gate to Sausalito. The day was gray but not foggy to make the bridge look interesting. I took some photos (well many) and when I scrolled down I saw what I wish I'd taken - your confused poppies. Wonderful photo - I still have lots to learn.

Louise said...

The ferns always get me. They speak of life.

 
under construction