March 16, 2009

hummingbird, Fort Mason Garden


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Saturday morning while I was spooking around San Francisco's Fort Mason I found a fabulous collection of garden plots -- known as the Fort Mason Community Garden.   Right now cabbages, chard, hardy winter flowers, and of course succulents abound -- but I'm looking forward to seeing the place later in the year.

The name of the plant is Montbretia (Crocosmia), sometimes called "Falling Stars" -- and I discovered (new to me) a bright yellow vareity called "Norway Canary" Montbretia.

I'm going to have to call the little guy "Brother Buzz"...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The Fort Mason Community Garden is a self-supporting, non-profit "park partner" open to all who enjoy the beauty and serenity of gardening in this small oasis nestled amidst an urban environment.

This community garden was originally founded in 1975 by Galileo High Schol and the San Francisco Arts Commission after receiving a federal grant to establish community garden programs.

The garden was originally located in the Great Meadow to the west, and was relocated in 1979 when research at the Golden Gate National Recreation Area revealed that the original Fort Mason post garden was established on this site in 1890.




click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Montbretia grows here and there along the banks of my beloved Lagunitas Creek -- that's where I got this shot last summer.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous flowers, and very nice shots of your new bro'!

photowannabe said...

Wonderful shots of Brother Buzz and the gorgeous flowers.
Haven't been out on a photo prowl for a while. I'm getting antsy.

Heidi said...

Perfect hummingbird attractors! Excellent shots :)

AphotoAday said...

YEAH -- HI RED...
I'm going to have to go back and see if I can get more shots -- these were easy... There are flocks of the wild parrots (of Telegraph Hill fame) in the vicinity -- making quite a racket I might add -- but they hang out in the tall eucaliptuses (sp?) and don't seem to come down to the ground much.

AND YEAH, PHOTOWANNASUE,
You need to get out now right after all these rains -- I think it's the best time (to get your shoes muddy)...

AND YEAH, DEBORAH GODIN,
It is always my pleasure...

Best regards, Don and Kitty

Tomate Farcie said...

First of all, WOWWOW!!! They really painted that tunnel!! Sure glad you caught the humming bird. That was really sweet!

Anna said...

I love the hummingbird! And such intense colour in those flowers.

Linda Nordin said...

nice picture...^_^

Louise said...

Love these flowers, especially the last photo. I think we're close to a couple of months away from hummingbirds here. I was just thinking about them today, though.

photowannabe said...

Love the hummer, and the Montbretia. That vivid color is awesome.
I thought I commented on this the other day. We are having some trouble with our internet connection. Its really annoying.

 
under construction