March 13, 2009

lets give 'em some flowers


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I was motoring past the Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno on my way down the "Peninsula" on Wednesday, when I decided to pull in and have a look around.   And look around I did -- at graves that seem to stretch to infinity -- certainly a lot of them...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

It looks like our dead at San Bruno could have used some flowers...

Yesterday afternoon I had nothing better to do than spook around the Corte Madera Creek.   These aren't growing wild -- they've been scattered over a large area and are now fiercely springing to life.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

If you know the name of any of those flowers I'd appreciate hearing from you.   My father was a great gardener, but the talent didn't rub off on me...   I am an ignoramus when it comes to some of the names of my flowers.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that first shot is awesome! where exactly did you shoot that from?

AphotoAday said...

HI PLUG1,

Well, you drive in the front gate and go to your left around the hill and about a hundred yards later is a parking area along the road on your left overlooking the scene...

I probably was using 200mm on my Canon5D (which has no crop factor), but with your camera a shorter focal length will frame up the scene just fine.   I got several "ho-hum" photos, but that one has more impact than the others.

Heidi said...

I was struck by the lines in your cemetery pic. Driving by, I've never noticed the "holes" in the lines. It's always a striking view.

I am pretty certain that the orange and yellow flowers are Gazanias. Not sure what the purple ones are. They have an appearance of Fireweed, but I'm certain they are not. They don't look like Stock either.

photowannabe said...

I lived above the cemetary for more than 10 years in the suburb called Rollingwood. Saw this sight practically every day but like Red was never aware of the "holes' in the lines. Of course that was many years ago. It is quite an amazing picture when all the flags are placed on each one for Memorial Day.

Louise said...

I LOVE the flowers. I don't know what they are, but they are gorgeous. They look wild, and wildflowers (mixed varieties like this) are my favorites. Most excellent photos!

Tomate Farcie said...

Good idea! They sure can use a bit of color.

LOVE the flowers shots.

Headstones remind me of Normandy, although I believe those lined up in Normandy have perfect configuration, no "holes."

Lew said...

Holes may be for the spouses of members of the military who have died. Our national cemeteries very much remind us of the sacrifices made for our freedom and are inspiring places. Photos of Flanders Field have always inspired me. I posted a photo of Arlington National Cemetery from the USAF Memorial last year.

 
under construction