March 03, 2009

at old Point Reyes Station


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

On Saturday I had nothing better to do, so I headed out to the little town of Point Reyes Station and spooked around some old farm equipment on the Giacomini ranch.   I was intrigued by this well worn tire -- it reminded me of the condition of some of the bald tires I used to run on my VW Bugs -- I used to think that it was semi-safe to run around on tires like this as long as I stayed off the freeway.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This brick wall, part of an old creamery, I think, is starting to show it's age -- but aren't we all...   I'm guessing that the bricks on the right side are part of a reconstruction.   Point Reyes Station is located less than a quarter-mile east of the San Andreas Fault.   The town sustained heavy damage during the BIG ONE of 1906.

And while you'd say; "how-you-doing?" in any other town, in Point Reyes Station a common greeting is "what's-shaking?"...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

5 comments:

Louise said...

"What's shaking?" Interesting. That sounds like what very young people say! The bricks are fantastic. I'd be terrified to drive on the tire. OK, I wouldn't. I have done that and have been lucky. They've always blown in convenient places, but that luck must run out someday, so I probably would be more careful now.

Sparkle Plenty said...

What's shakin'? I'M shakin' in my boots thinking about you driving around on tires like that! :-) I wouldn't have recognized the subject of that photo as a tire...

Query: What on earth is that photo at the top of the page???

Have a great day,
Sparkle

AphotoAday said...

HEY SPARKLE -- I guess you'll just have to visit again tomorrow and find out... My header moves to the subject for the next day...

AND HI LOUISE -- well I definitely no longer drive around on bald tires (or without good brakes) but getting a blowout on a city street really isn't all that dangerous -- slightly dangerous perhaps, but you kind of get used to it after a while... Usually I can tell when a tire is going to blow (actually it just deflates very rapidly) -- the tire gets a big bubble on it and makes a particular thumping sound and the ride gets a bit bumpy...

--Brakes can sometimes be a problem, but usually I just stick my foot out the door and drag it on the pavement... With the door open you can just jump out at the last second if it looks like you're going to run into anything... ((( watch out boys and girls, here comes Don )))

Like I said, I don't do that anymore...

photowannabe said...

SMILE!!
Those tires are a bit scary. Great close-up of it. I would never have guess what it was though.

Tomate Farcie said...

What's shaking?!! Interesting! :)

I hear a lot of "what's up" or just " 'sup? " depending on the age of the person.

Can't wait to drive up to that area again.

 
under construction