March 25, 2009

Chinatown tour


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

jux-ta-po-si-tion   
1.   An act or instance of placing close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast.
2.   The state of being close together or side by side.

Lets see, which way is better -- the old or the new?   And perhaps more importantly -- can both styles co-exist?



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Couldn't miss the colorful sign -- I should have stopped for a taste...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

These look like some sort of Pistachio nut, but that's just a guess...
A "nut" took the photo too, but lets not go there...
I wish I had gotten a bit more depth-of-field with the shot, though...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Next time I go to the supermarket I think I will, too, contemplate each piece -- selecting only the finest, and/or those putting out the best vibes...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

6 comments:

Tomate Farcie said...

First of all, the banner: wow!! Great catch!! Looks like these birds will eat just about anything!! I remember when I took the ferry from Marin to SF and they were following us around. Sometimes people would throw potato chips and they would descend on that and make them disappear in less time than it takes me to write this comment!

As to the other shots, let me think a minute! So much to say! ;) Chinatown is always a feast for the eyes.

I think I understand what you're saying about the depth of field in the nut photograph, but it's OK, too, to just see the nuts.

As to whether the old and the new can co-exist, I often wonder that myself. Easy to think that way when you walk around Chinatown, since it is one of the oldest (the oldest?) neighborhoods in San Francisco and you can see a skyscraper only a few yards away from a building pre-dating the 1906 earthquakes.

Louise said...

The first photo, with contrasts, is stunning. I'm not sure there could be a better capture for "juxtaposition.)

I like the depth-of-field in the nut photo.

photowannabe said...

Great character study and sometimes one needs to be a nut to take the pictures.

Lew said...

In San francisco, styles and cultures co-exist very nicely! That first photo is stunning with the muted colors balanced so well.

Stacey Olson said...

Great photography once again Donald.. thanks for sharing.

pressure vessels said...

these photos are amazing. great SFO shots. i love it. may I know what kind of camera are you using?

 
under construction