March 04, 2009

Heather Wilcoxon's "art car"


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

On Monday I was passing through Sausalito looking for something to shoot -- without much success -- but then I remembered Heather Wilcoxon's "art car" -- it always manages to elevate me from the horrors-of this-ugly-world...


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I don't see as many "art cars" on the road here in Marin County as much as I used to -- but gluing all kinds of stuff to the exterior of your car definitely makes a statement.   One statement (of many) Heather's car makes is that it's definitely parked, and isn't going anywhere soon...

Folks are invited to drop off additions for Heather to glue on, when and if she gets around to it.   Heather teaches art, and of course is a fabulous artist who lives on her houseboat docked at Galilee Harbor.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


Henry Wilcoxon is one of the actors that Cecil B. de Mille made famous back in the '30's in films like Cleopatra and The Ten Commandments.   All dressed up and painted, he made a convincing Indian.   Heather, who I knew years ago, is one of Henry's daughters.   Heather Wilcoxon's website is over at:   http://www.heatherwilcoxon.com.


SPECIAL EDITION -- EXTRA, EXTRA...


Sparkle Plenty at Dinosaur Casserole (one of my favorite blogs) wanted to see a full view of the art-car, so here it is:


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

5 comments:

Sparkle Plenty said...

HI, DONALD!!! Thanks! Henry Wilcoxon looks very familiar...I must have seen him in a lot of stuff over the years.

I can't find a whole picture of Heather's car anywhere--I tried her Web site, but am probably looking in the wrong spot.

Have you ever been to the following event? It looks like it would be a great place for you to give your photography talents free rein:
http://www.artcarfest.com/photos.html

Anonymous said...

i love this car. growing up in kentfield across from the college i saw a few cars like this. my favorite was a car covered in bumper stickers. a lot of them said dick nixon before he dicks you. does anyone else remember those? bonnye in w sac

Tomate Farcie said...

Great post!! I love seeing these kinds of cars, always puts a huge smile on my face! :)

There used to be a young guy driving around the neighborhood in a station wagon with a couple of mannequin legs sticking up on the roof... Haven't seen him in a while. Once I saw a couple of cupcakes roll up the street, I kid you not, with only the drivers' heads sticking out of each of them.

If you want to see art cars, Berkeley is the place to be. You see them around from time to time (like the cup cakes I saw) and of course, they have an annual event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hvNKuweTpc

TF

Sarah said...

Wow Donald that is fantastic! Sparkle's is one of my favourite blogs as well and couldn't help but take a peek after reading your great comments!

We used to have a car like this you would see every once and a while in Toronto except it was the doll car. He or She has glued any and every head of a doll they could find to the car and had a fabulously dressed Barbie as the hood ornament. That car actually did drive around for everyone though! :)

AphotoAday said...

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR COMMENTS,
And a special greetings to "ANONYMOUS" who mentioned that they grew up across the street from the College of Marin... My grandmother lived near you over on Terrace Avenue -- does the name Mrs. Anderson ring a bell??? She used to babysit everybody's kids in the area -- charged 50 cents an hour no matter how many rugrats the mother dropped off... She lived to the ripe old age of 99-1/2 and was ornery as all get-out (she made the kids behave) but was smart as a whip...

 
under construction