March 05, 2009

mailboxes at Galilee Harbor


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Back in the '60's, if you had anything to live in that would float, you could row, steam, or get towed over to Gate Five in Sausalito -- tie up for free, and spend the rest of your days boogie'n down on your improvised houseboat.   Of course, eventually untreated sewage became a problem, and citizenry of Sausalito made it illegal to "anchor out" at Gate Five without the proper facilities -- thus sparking an actual war between those who wanted to stay and those who wanted the dirty hippies out of the area.   Well, after a few bashed heads and a lot of name-calling, the hippies cleaned up their act a bit, and guess what? -- they're still there...


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh, I've got to say that there are houseboats, and then there are houseboats...   The funky ones still remain at Gate Five, but there are three other houseboat communities in the area -- each a bit classier and more expensive than the other.   The houseboats that you can see from Highway 101 are probably the classiest and most expensive -- but I've never been there and I'm not planning a visit anytime soon...


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

Louise said...

The mail boxes are definitely a wonderful subject for a camera. The colors just grab me.

As for the "art car." I'm speechless. I am sure I have never seen anything like it. And to know that the numbers have decreased. There used to be lots of them? Wow!

Tomate Farcie said...

The best looking mailboxes, ever!

I remember Gate 5 about 20 some years ago, when the flea market was still around nearby...

It's hard to believe that Marin County could tolerate both Marin City and Gate 5!

photowannabe said...

Delightful artwork. I love the unique pictures on each box.
One of my teachers at the S.F. Travel institute lived on one of those house boats. he would tell us about the on going saga of the "war" against them. Hadn't thought of that for a long time.

 
under construction