July 13, 2010

how it's done in Chinatown


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Well, this isn't Safeway or Piggly-Wiggly Market -- it's San Francisco's Chinatown, and this is how they make the deliveries. One side of pork on one shoulder and another side of pork on the other.   Oink, oink...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

There are two You's Dim Sums in Chinatown and they employ the most beautiful ladies -- but just TRY to get a photo of one of them. Oh horrors -- you'd think I was stealing their soul or something.

I think this lady is a manager -- she is a bit older but no less vigilant. If she catches someone like me trying to snatch a photo all hell is going to break loose -- arms will flail and words will be hollered, the exact meaning will be lost in translation but the general impression will be; "NO PHOTOS".



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I do my Chinatown walk-arounds very early in the morning and this fellow seemed to be still half-asleep. He looked right at me as I was snapping another photo, yet sat motionless and passive. He didn't seem to care if I was snapping a photo of him and his shop. Evidently he hasn't read the chapter on how to deal with photographers in the Chinatown Field Manual.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I pass Nora's Temple all the time but I never see anyone going in or out. At this point it's a bit of a mystery. Maybe I should just bang on the door and ask if I can come in and shoot some photos???
Oh, maybe not, but I bet there's a whole different world inside.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oooh, first picture is soo disturbing :S
But yeah thats how its done.. :P

photowannabe said...

Fascinating Don. Glad you still are stealthy and get some terrific shots. I wonder what Nora's Temple is too.

julie said...

Wow, you got the famous pork shot! That's a coveted one and I've heard stories of photographers getting yelled at by the shopkeepers.

BTW, the friendliest temple is the Mat-Su temple on Beckett. You can go in there and take as many photos as you like.

AphotoAday said...

THANKS AS USUAL, MULLEH AND PHOTOWANABE SUE -- AND OH MY GOSH, HELLO JULIE! -- Thanks Julie for the info on the Mat-Su temple on Beckett -- I'll definitely check that out some day...

But WOW -- a comment from Julie Michelle -- this really makes my day!!! Every once in a while I wonder if Julie is reading my blog -- but when she leaves a comment it is really something special!!!

And Julie is pretty special too -- one time I crowned her the next Annie Leibowitz, but shortly thereafter I realized that that accolade fell short of her true abilities...

Don't know of Julie Michelle? -- well just click on I LIVE HERE, SF, in my sidebar... She also does JULIE LIVES HERE, and is one of the key members of the CaliberSF group... I've had a mad crush on her since August 29, 2009 when I met her at her show at "Tedda Hughes", a botique and gallery on Polk Street... I have ten of her cards that I treasure and some day I hope to have some of her larger prints...

Oh, the crush thing? -- well, she has a boyfriend -- dammit -- but I wish them both all the best!!! Julie is something else!!!

 
under construction