July 04, 2010

a fun filled Marin County Fair


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

County Fairs -- what a great institution! Go ahead, pick the hottest days of the year to hold it and then charge everybody six bucks for parking and another fifteen dollars to get in the gates. Want a corn-dog that costs $3.50? Or a five dollar beer? Or rides that will most assuredly bring that corn-dog and beer back up... Hey, yeah -- lets go to the Marin County Fair!



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Well, this little girl seems to be having a great time, but if you're an oldster like me you might feel safer and more comfortable on the ground.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So -- who thinks up these rides? "Lets take them to the edge of death", must be their mantra when designing these thrill rides.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And what would a county fair be without someone selling pots and pans?

Oh right -- cooking pans that don't require water? Oh give me a break -- water, although less, IS required, regardless of the impression the word "waterless" gives.

And waterless cookery is still around. Going back about 50 years -- my parents bought a whole set of waterless cookery, and I can't remember if they bought it at a county fair or if some door-to-door salesman paid us a visit. I think I have a few pieces of the set that I inherited stashed away around here someplace.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the first picture, with the flowers! Aww and the girl looks so happy, what a sweet picture!

Emmy said...

These pictures are wonderful! (But, I have to confess,I've never actually been to the County Fair before...It must be fun, but sounds very pricy...)

photowannabe said...

Fairs are fun if for nothing more than great photo ops. Love the upside down rollercoaster and the flag bunting.
We're having the gang over here for a BBQ today. It will be a little less robust than sometimes since my son lost his job on Friday. Its belt tightening time. He got no warning. A phone call the day before while he was on vacation. His whole division was eliminated. Rough times for every company.
Anyhoo...Happy Independence Day to you Don.
Sue

avital said...

love the pic with the girle!

Rhett Redelings said...

LOVE the shot of the kids hanging upside down on the edge of death ride. Very nice catch! The girl on the YoYo... that's the only ride I'll still get on although I didn't this year.

 
under construction