July 08, 2010

Carnaros region, the Wine Country


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Well, I can see the temptation here... You really want a goat or a sheep, but you live in the City and just don't have a place to keep it.

But hey -- I've been living with an animal for years now -- I call her Kitty -- and it seems to be working out just fine.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is the Carnaros region at the southernmost end of the Sonoma Valley. It's situated near the top end of San Francisco Bay and I understand that the micro-climate here is cooler than the famous wine growing areas to the north.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

In this area just about every available space has been planted with grapes.

They go this way...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

...and they go that way.

Grapes, grapes, grapes -- they go on for miles.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

These tall trees are Eucalyptus -- natives of Australia. Ranchers planted them years ago to serve as windbreaks and you'll find them growing extensively throughout California.

They grow fast and tall, but the wood spits easily so it is not used for lumber. When they encroach into natural areas they are considered an invasive species and a definite fire hazard.

The woody bases of the flowers contain oil with a very distinctive odor -- with properties that is known to ward off fleas and mosquitos. I knew a lady who made necklaces of these flower bases for her dog.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

4 comments:

Emmy said...

My cousins who lived out in the country used to have two goats: Sniggle and Brownie. (They were kinda scary :P)

Unknown said...

love all the green :)
And the first picture was pretty cool! :D

photowannabe said...

My Grandpa, who was old country Swedish, used to call the trees Eukalipstick, just to get a rise out of me when I was little.
Thanks for a flashback I haven't thought of for years.
Also thanks for your warm thoughts for my older son and family.
He's already put out resumes and made a website with his website. Its pretty awesome. Hope he gets a solid lead quickly.

AphotoAday said...

THANKS EMMY, MULLEH, AND PHOTOWANNABE SUE -- Your comments are appreciated... And Ph. Sue -- I got a kick out of the "eucalipstick" story -- that'll probably stick in my mind...

 
under construction