July 14, 2010

design and color, San Francisco


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Just when you think they have San Francisco "totally built" they tear down something old made out of bricks and mortar and erect something new out of glass and steel. It's always a mystery to me where "they" get the money for these projects, but I guess progress marches on somehow.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh lord, this colorful doorway "gets me every time" -- it's right on the dividing line between Chinatown and Northbeach, on Powell near Columbus.

In another life, oh so many years ago, I worked as a paint-maker -- the restroom at our little factory was decorated in a similar manner.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Now, these Chinese Eggplants may be just a bit more scruffy and beat-up than usual, but this is another subject I can never get past without taking a snap or two. Such a beautiful and regal color.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Need jewelry? Oh, these days I don't, but maybe you do...

Tell you a little story. When I was young, very young, I purchased a six-dollar ladies ring with an agate stone at a gift store in Yellowstone National Park. I had plans... When I got home I was going to give it to Susie Fitzsimmons but while showing it to my friends it mysteriously became lost.

In those days your "girl" wouldn't slip it on her finger -- after all, what girl wants a green ring finger, but instead it was worn around the neck on a chain. Not having a chain I needed to get one -- oh I suppose if I had a bit more money I could have bought one at the local jewelry store, but instead I bought several sink-stopper chains at the hardware store and hooked them all together into the proper length.

And yes, I lost the chains along with the ring. And yes, I also eventually lost Susie Fitzimmons to an "older" boy -- oh Susie, where are you today?



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And I suppose this photo has nothing to do with today's theme of "design and color", but I thought I would throw it in for good measure. After all, knowing where all the available restrooms in San Francisco is sometimes rather vital.

This is on Kearny, between Washington and Jackson, as if you really needed to know. But save your two dollars -- there's a free and fairly clean restroom in Portsmouth Square, just a block away.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

2 comments:

photowannabe said...

Stunning colors and all that rebar, or however its spelled, makes a delicious picture.
I cracked up at your ingenuity of the sink stopper chains.
Thanks for my laugh today.

julie said...

Ah, my all-time favorite brightly painted door. I hope it looks like that forever.

 
under construction