July 25, 2010

Energy and Power


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Apparently it takes oodles of electricity -- power on an industrial scale -- to make the vast quantities of gasoline required by our thirsty automobiles.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is the refinery in Martinez, in the upper east quadrant of San Francisco Bay -- I think the brand they use is "Shell".   Visitors are not welcome.

Now, I don't know why I feel I need to tell you this, but all my life I've snickered that just by blocking out the "S" in "Shell" the result is "hell". It was merely a stroke-of-luck and/or a walk-in-righteousness that my Dad always filled up at Union gas stations.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

California needs power -- and lots of it. Moving it around is probably even more complicated than it looks.
Location:   Sherman Island, lower Sacramento Delta area.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Time Travelers from the distant past would probably be scratching their heads at this latest design. A windmill that pumps electrons instead of water -- now, that would take some explaining.
Location:   Montezuma Hills, between Fairfield and Rio Vista.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

No comments:

 
under construction