January 21, 2009

Lets Eat !


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Bright and early on Monday I had nothing better to do so I swung by San Francisco's Chinatown.   I've been having such bad luck recently getting good shots in Chinatown, but I think these are o.k.   Why do I love Chinatown? -- well it's probably just like vacationing in China, without the long plane ride and hefty air-fare...   Chinese people are great!

See you there -- I'll be the goofy American drooling at the sight of all that tasty food in the windows!



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

While snapping away on Stockton Street I encountered an older Chinese man.   He didn't speak a word of English, and I speak even less Chinese, but he communicated the message that I should take a picture of a pile of cardboard laying in the street, so I obliged and shot the scene -- where upon we had great delight looking at eachother's digital display screens.   Then I made the mistake of asking him (as best I could) if I could take HIS picture, to which he shook his head no, turned around and scurried away...


Extra, Extra, Extra
Now, I am certainly NOT recommending the Photo Forum over at Craigslist.org (the forum is filled with trolls and the most unbelievable obscenities), but someone was asking how the pros get such professional looking shots, and if it had to do with their lenses.   Maybe you would be interested in what I wrote, so if you might, I have a three part response to the question at:   http://sfbay.craigslist.org/forums/?ID=113797306   My "handle" over there is "donalduck".


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have one of the world's premiere Chinese communities on your doorstep. The town where I live is sadly lacking in Chinese culture (and food!) so I don't mind admitting I'm a little envious!

Anonymous said...

i see 1/3 of a MUSK on that 2nd picture.

AphotoAday said...

HI PLUG1

Yep, you sure do -- I saw that too, but didn't know it's name... Musk, huh, --great name... Same guy who does Giraffa, isn't it.

Got a kick out of your post today.
Great minds think alike, I guess...

Best regards, Don.

photowannabe said...

Chinatown is such a mysterous place. i have always enjoyed your shots from there. Love their food and now my tummy's rumbling.

Marvin said...

As much as I like living in the woods, I gotta admit that rural Arkansas is totally lacking in cultural diversity. Thanks for taking us along on your trip to Chinatown.

Tomate Farcie said...

Chinatown alone provides many colorful photo-ops. Thanks for adding the story!

 
under construction