January 22, 2009

incoming storm


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Well, so far I wouldn't call it much of a storm...
The drops we got yesterday were barely enough to baptize a believer, but today we just might get enough rain to start a flow towards our nearly empty reservoirs.   And, oh man, do we ever need rain...   If we don't get a whole lot of it very soon we're going to be on water-rationing for sure.   So come on, heavens, open up and be generous.   Send great volumes of the wet stuff our way.


UPDATE:   I posted another, I think a better version, of the open-air opera singer, two posts down.   A photographer buddy of mine told me the original photo looked odd with his arms cut off -- this new one looks like he's conducting the orchestra, I think...


Special Edition     BOOK REVIEW

50 Greatest Photo Opportunities in San Francisco

by Matthew Bamberg





Three days ago I threw-caution-to-the-wind and ordered 50 Greatest Photo Opportunities in San Francisco, sight unseen, for the reasonably sounding price of $18.99 at Amazon.com.   I'm glad I did!

Oh, I'm usually a sucker for "anything San Francisco", but what we have here is not only a beautiful book with truly outstanding photographs, but also an excellent primer on digital photography.

As soon as the book arrived I opened it to the pages you see above.   I had absolutely no idea that I could walk across the street from the Cable Car Turnaround to the Westfield Center, go up four floors, find a cozy chair, and look up at the old Emporium department store dome.   I'll be doing that soon -- just as soon as I can find a pair of pants with no holes in the knees...   Heck, I'll even change my socks and shave closely if that's what it's going to take to get past security...

The book is wonderful...   Matthew Bamberb is a skilled photographer, and shows in the book how to take the ordinary to a much higher level.   He explains in a straightforward manner about the elements of a pleasing composition, and if you need a refresher course on things like depth-of-field, shooting modes, bokeh, exposure compensation, focal length, ISO speeds, lens choice, lighting, metering, post-processing, and RAW format, then this book is for you.

Matt's goal throughout the book seems to be how to get you shooting like a professional.   The line starts here, right behind me...   All this for $18.99?   Sounds like a bargain to me.

Once again, Matthew Bamberg's photographs are splendid.   This book is inspirational.   I love it, and expect to get a lot of use out of it and I hope you do too.   Be sure not to miss Chapter 5 -- "Secret Places" -- sounds intriguing, doesn't it?


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! he left a comment on our blog a few weeks ago and is sending one my way.

im also super excited to receive my copy.

Anonymous said...

My only sightseeing experience of SF, I have to confess, is this blog. I'm more of an armchair traveler, so I've enjoyed your enthusiasm for this book and for your city. That storm photo in amazing! Surely something is going to come from those clouds - rain or the mothership or maybe the Ode to Joy...

Tomate Farcie said...

Great info on that book!

Yes, you can walk straight up to the old Emporium dome. You'll probably be shocked to see what they've done with that Westfield center, though, if you haven't seen it yet.

Tomate Farcie said...

I forgot to say, that was a great shot of Mt. Tam "smoking like a Volcano!" The rain is here, finally, and here to say through the WE they say. Oh, well, a little time curled up on the couch with a book or a good movie won't hurt.

photowannabe said...

Stunning picture Don. Thanks for the info on the book. I think I will order it also. I might even order one for my son Mr. Mapper.

Matthew Bamberg said...

Thanks for the great book review!!!

Matt Bamberg
Author, http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Photo-Opportunities-San-Francisco/dp/1598638009

 
under construction