January 16, 2009

gas flames in the creek


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Sometimes I form emotional bonds with my subjects which tends to bias my opinion as to what is good and what is not, but in the case of this photo I'm pretty sure I have a winner here...

Oh shucks -- it was an easy photo to take -- all I had to do was to be there and snap the shutter.   Nevertheless, I think I'll give myself ten-points and a gold-star.   Hope you like it too...

Oh, there is one little secret for this type of photo -- the stream must be in shade so it can act as a mirror for the surrounding illuminated vegetation.   At my favorite spot on the Lagunitas Creek (100 yards upstream of the terminus of Devil's Creek) the best time to find the illumination just right is usually between nine and ten o'clock on a bright and sunny day.   See you there...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

4 comments:

photowannabe said...

Oh yah....11 points and 2 gold stars!!!
Stunning. I can feel the movement.

Anonymous said...

I am impressed! Even after the explanation, I can still see so much more in it!

Tomate Farcie said...

I think that's why they say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' but you must be doing something right because we can see the beauty in your photographs as well.

Actually, it if hadn't been for your photographs, I probably wouldn't have made time to go see the Chihuly exhibit. You do a good job (and that's an understatement) at showing what you love under a the best possible light (no pun intended). Even the weed growing on the side of the freeway with the pink flowers look like a work of art, seen through your lens.

Ivar Østtun said...

Hats off for this shot. Very well done. :-D

 
under construction