January 25, 2009

mossy tree, Mt. Tamalpais


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

With the little bit of rain and drizzle we've been getting here in Marin County the past several days, the vegetation that enjoys this type of weather, such as ferns and moss, has perked up and is standing tall.

Even seldom seen newts are out and about...   They're slow movers, about six inches in length, with caucasion-flesh colored skin.   My knowledge is limited, but I believe this particular variety is an endangered species.

If I had been just a bit faster in setting up my camera I would have been able to snap a newt ambulating   v e r y   s l o w l y   between these two trees.   Oh, I guess I could have retrieved the creature and placed him back inside the area of the photo, but I really don't think the mysterious little guy needed some uncouth human messing with his or her enjoyment of a perfect day in the soggy forest.





SPECIAL EDITION
First, make sure your sound isn't turned way up, then
mouse-over keys for animal sounds --
or click on key to repeat 3 times...
Keys are draggable to the right side to create key combinations.

I made this with Flash6 two or three years ago.




CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the perfect pillow for a forest nap...newts know this instinctively

kjpweb said...

Beautiful - you have a great eyes for things that others just might walk by...
Cheers, Klaus

AphotoAday said...

THANKS DEBORAH AND THANKS KLAUS,

Yep, there's beauty out there...
Sometimes all a person needs to do is slow down and enjoy it...

And wow, what a great morning I had today -- I got some really nice shots, many with people, over in Chinatown, and I even took a stroll through North Beach -- I'm in the middle of Photoshopping them now -- I don't know what the heck I'm going to do with them -- these photos just keep piling up...   I'll be showing them here in the next several days...

photowannabe said...

Make a book. Yours are worthy of publishing Don.
This shot just makes me feel like I had a lovely walk in the dampish woods.

Tomate Farcie said...

You did the right thing, not disturbing that little guy.

The book idea is pretty good actually. Your stuff is professional quality!

AphotoAday said...

WELL THANKS PH. SUE, AND T. FARCIE,

Actually I've been thinking about a book, or even a series of them for quite a while. They have what is known as "on demand" printing techniques using very high quality xerox machines, and production runs can be as low as one copy -- they've got all the bindery stuff down to a science -- it's all pretty much automatic... The author has complete control over content as it's done in a word processor and everything is uploaded in a PDF...

But you know, the longer I wait, the better my selection of photos is going to get... And right now nobody has any money to buy books (or prints), so I'm in no rush to jump into a book right away... But one will be coming, but I've got to think about it and take some more photos...
What I need is an editor -- I'm terrible at choosing my own stuff, because I tend to get attached to the "place or moment", if you know what I mean...

Anyway, thanks everybody for your encouragement...

P.S.: I just got some new shots of Kitty... Standby...

 
under construction