November 05, 2008

"P"oliceman -- it's ABC Wednesday !


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

"P" is for "P"oliceman -- Whoopie -- it's good old ABC Wednesday again !

A week or two ago I treated myself to a trip to San Francisco's Coit Tower to see the frescos.   They were painted in the 1930's by a group of artists:   Arnautoff, Zakheim, Howard, Boynton, Stackpole, Moya del Pino, Oldfield, Berlandina, and Hesthal.   These artists were obviously heavily influenced by Diego Rivera.

The artwork centers on themes of worker's plight in the 1930's, a time of great labor unrest.   Many rich upper-crust San Franciscans were outraged by the left-wing slant of the artwork.


CLICK to see the full set of 24 Coit Tower frescos



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful frescoes! I was in SanFran once, but did not see these!

Raquel Sabino Pereira said...

On behalf of all the ABC TEAM:
THANK YOU FOR YOUR WONDERFUL CONTRIBUTION FOR ABC WEDNESDAY ROUND 3!!!!!!!

«The Police» is also one of my favourite bands!!!!!

Love, from Sailor Girl (Portugal)

Belgrade Daily Photo said...

You really photographed those well!

I actually used to live in San Francisco and I still read SFGATE.com on a regular basis, so I followed the tiger story very closely. Horrible tragedy, but they still don't know exactly what happened, do they?

Anonymous said...

During all of my visits in San Francisco, I've only once had time to climb to that hill, where Coit Tower is and of course, it happened to be closed at the time ...
If I someday make another visit to San Francisco, I'll make sure that I have to check these out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting that up, Don. Quite brilliant aren't they - Dillinger blamed...

Suburbia said...

I love the style of these pictures. Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are lovely! If we'd known they were there back in June when we were in SF, we'd have gone to see them! Maybe next time.

Dragonstar said...

These are wonderful! I've never seen anything like them.

Neva said...

What a great set of frescos.....thanks for sharing and the P is perfect for today!

Reader Wil said...

These frescoes are so impressive, that I can imagine that you had a great time seeing them.

photowannabe said...

Great shots of the frescoes, especially when its indoor lighting.
Silly me, I always thought those were Diego Rivera frescoes.
Its been a lot of years since I saw them.

Leslie: said...

Been to SF several times, but never saw Coit Tower. Will definitely go there next visit! Thanks for sharing.

DeniseinVA said...

These are wonderful photos and absolutely amazing art. I went to the Coit Tower once many years ago but had no idea these were here as I think the place was locked up at the time. The view however was fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing them, and also for visiting me at my blog.

kml said...

Wow, they are beautiful! Great history in them - thanks for sharing!

marLou said...

These are wonderful artwork. Every piece of the canvas is filled with details.

magiceye said...

brilliant pictures of wonderful artworks. they exhibit such vibrancy!

kRiZcPEc said...

awesome artwork.

dianasfaria.com said...

these are beautiful photos of beautiful paintings.

chrome3d said...

A beutiful set of frescos, although I almost thought those were drawn with pencils.

Marvin said...

Great photos, Don. One simply cannot trust artist not to lean toward the left.

Rinkly Rimes said...

What wonderful art work!

Bear Naked said...

PERFECT choice for ABC Wednesday

Bear((( )))

 
under construction