November 18, 2008

Lagunitas Creek -- it's Show Your World Tuesday !


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Whoopie !   It's Tuesday -- welcome to  Show Your World !

Why do I call the Lagunitas Creek "my world" ?
Because I spend so darned much time out there -- that's why...

The coho salmon won't arrive at Lagunitas Creek to complete their life style until we get some heavy rain in January, but meanwhile the "hatch" from earlier this year have the stream pretty much all to their own...

The Lagunitas Creek Watershed is home to the largest-remaining wild run of coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) in Central California.   These coho are part of the "Central California Coast Evolutionarily Significant Unit," or CCC ESU, and are listed as "endangered" at both the state and federal level.

From November to April -- even if it hasn't rained -- our local water district is mandated by law to release enough water from our reservoirs to keep the Lagunitas Creek at a certain level.   But like I mentioned, the adult coho won't arrrive to spawn until January, so personally (and without having all the facts) I think a lot of water is being wasted -- I don't think the coho juveniles now in the creek need all that additional water.

Mornings are best for snagging water reflections out at the Lagunitas Creek -- the creek itself must be shaded, but there must be surrounding items, like vegetation, that are illuminated.   Even though the light levels are low, I always try to keep my ISO settings low (this is ISO 100) to keep noise down, but that usually requires shooting wide-open (this is f-4).   I used a fairly long exposure time (this was 1/12th second).   In post-processing I had to set the high values in Photoshop because the image was slightly underexposed.   I did not fool with color-saturation levels on this shot, but do (to some degree) on my other water shots.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful image with reflections and ripples.
Cheers, Klaus

Raquel Sabino Pereira said...

That place looks wonderful!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Louise said...

Beautiful as always. Interesting about the water.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Don: I wasn't sure what I was seeing until I read on. Thanks for the information on the creek in your area of the world.

EG CameraGirl said...

These reflections are amazing..the colours, the lines...beautiful!

Indrani said...

Wow! Nice ripples reflecting an array of colors.

Tomate Farcie said...

Thanks for the technical explanation! I had to read it a couple of times but I think I get it now. Boy, we just take these shots for granted but you really put a lot of thought into it!
Does this mean you walk around with a tripod, then? I can't imagine taking long shots while hand-holding a heavy camera.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful photo! Love it!

photowannabe said...

It goes without saying that i love your reflection shots Don. I agree that this is a huge part of your world.

♥ Denise BC ♥ said...

This is beautiful, thank you for sharing your world, grateful for the nice visit.
Hugs, Denise

Gaelyn said...

Beautiful capture. Looks like a painting.

Unknown said...

Very intersting and an amazing picture too

PJ said...

For a good-off you're doing all right! I love all the water work, extrememly satisfying for a water-baby like me.

Digital Polaroids said...

Amazing shot and colors

SandyCarlson said...

A beautiful close shot of the water. That creek is captivating.

 
under construction