September 02, 2013

"test of time" 2 of 30 - foggy pines, Carmel Hill, 1961


photo by Donald Kinney

In 1961 I was still two years away from getting my driver's license, so my realm of photography depended largely on where my dad decided to point the Kinney's first brand new automobile--a beige, big-as-a-boat, $2300, six cylinder, four door, 1961 Chevrolet Bel-Aire.

Dad was usually more focused on getting from "point A" to "point B", so I imagine I probably had to make a strong plea for him to pull over on Carmel Hill in heavy fog so I could snap this image.

At the time I was shooting 35mm black and white and doing the developing and printing in my own darkroom. Accounting for the obvious film grain, this was enlarged and cropped more than normal. This was my "high contrast" period--my favorite printing paper was Agfa Brovira #6, which gave me intense whites and blacks, but only a few discernable intermediate tones. Two years later Ansel Adams would straighten me out.   Stay tuned...


CLICK for 40 photos on what I call my "big site"; photoarrow.com.
CLICK for "Photographing Marin County"; my Marin County exhibit.

No comments:

 
under construction