June 15, 2011

San Francisco's Chinatown - a short tour


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

For my header yesterday I used a close-up of the boy in the lower left, but I think this shot with more of the mural showing is better. In any case, this is the fabulous mural on the side of the old International Hotel facing Stockton Street in San Francisco's Chinatown.

The City funded mural was a project of SOMArts (South of Market Arts) and their Mural Resource Center. SOMArts is a wonderful and lively gallery space in--you guessed it--the south of Market area. Commissioned Artist was Darrel Mar, and Contributing Artists were Darren Acoba, Joyce Lu, and Tonia Chen. I think it's great!



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And what a simple concept -- direct and to the point -- look and buy.
It's the way it should work. God Bless America.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

By now you probably know I'm the guy who loves to shoot into empty restaurant windows. I don't want to get all "arty" on you here, but I think the empty plates and lonely waiting cups show an emotion that is rather deep. Somehow I strongly identify with the mood.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Back at home I don't have two stylized lions guarding my door, but I DO have a cat that keeps a pretty good eye on things.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Whether looking for photos or looking for some good greasy food -- when in Chinatown I recommend the New Golden Daisy Delicatessen on Stockton Street.



CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

1 comment:

photowannabe said...

I think I'll pass on that duck....
Really greasy and pimply. Terrific picture though.
I do love your moody tablesetting. The maroon background is the perfect color for the "Moody Whites".

 
under construction