June 29, 2011

capturing the moment in San Francisco


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh lord, I don't think too many people quite "got" my Transamerica Building swinging from utility wires -- oh well, I had fun toying with the concept.
I really appreciate your feedback on the voting/poll system.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

All I can say is that there are photographers and then there ARE photographers. And this ARE a photographer...

I found him working at a feverish pace doing a street portrait before the start of the Pride Parade on Sunday. He was working with 8x10 film -- that's the way Ansel Adams did a lot of his best images -- there is no finer way. Nor is there any way that is any more demanding. To photograph this way takes time and money. As a kid I did 4x5 view camera work, so I have an idea of the demands involved -- I'll just use my nice digital DSLR and dream about the past. But my hat is off to this fellow. He was so busy I didn't want to distract him by asking him his name.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And if that fellow with the view camera had been up on upper Grant Street earlier, we both could have shot this musical storefront.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But then I'd try to show my new friend with the big view camera just how flexible the modern digital DSLR is -- it can travel fast and shoot like a machine gun. Creativity, ad nauseam...


CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

No comments:

 
under construction